Zero Caliber

MaritLage

MGF Member
Zero Caliber is a hyperrealistic VR [Virtual Reality] shooter game .

Se i used to think guns were bad . And that violence was bad and democracy was good , and that there ought to be enough to go around for everyone and so every conflict should be resolvable using words .

Real life...is not like that .

The first time i watched Puella Magi Madoka Magica , i balked . Why were there guns in a Magical Girl anime? Ka . It seemed incongruous at first .

One day while attending a monthly meetup at Toronto VR producer  Globacore , i had the chance to try a neon jet shooter type of game . It was fun .

The longer i spent studying World Affairs , the more i realized that violence solves problems . There are a looot of loquatious polititions that could really make a difference by taking a bullet to the head .

By the time i found Chrono Crusade , Sister Rlosette Christopher·s use of silver bullets etched with Enochian inscriptions to dispatch demons was no longer incongruous .

I thought the name Zero Caliber was rather cute .  Caliber refers to the diameter of a gun barrel , in either hundredths of an inch (50cal) or millimeters (9mm) . Zero Caliber is a VR game , so literally the guns don·t have barrels as they·re virtual projections . Haha .

The graphics are hyperrealistic , there·s loads of guns to choose from , and using them requires using the Vive handheld controllers to manually pull magazines from your belt and lock the bolt . It·s a bit of a process , as you have to press the grip button to pick up the gun , hold the other controller at belt level and push the grip button , insert the magazine or shells into the right spot , then locate the bolt which depending on the gun could be on either side , press the grab button , pull it back , push it forward , move the other controller to the front of the gun , push the grip button to hold it steady , then use the grab button to fire . Ya got all that? Ka . It doesn·t even make you set the Safety to fire . Easy peasy .

I think the controllers i was using are a little bit hammered by many hands , as i play at the local arcade . The movement sped at a crawl , which is really stressful when you·re getting gibbed by bullets . Far from the ability to dive behind cover , i found myself hitting random buttons to look for the run setting . That·s my excuse for dying twice! .

One of the biggest things i·ve noticed is that fully-immersive combat is VERY STRESSFUL . Even without the broken leg , when a gun jams and there·s muzzle flash coming from three dots halfway across the map and red in the corners of your vision and the sound of chopped meat , even without the flaring pain i found my holy mouth swearing like a sailor . The hit-boxes are super tight , and the goggles fog up cos i still wear my face mask , so it·s pretty difficult seeing where to hit . The sniper rifle was pretty cool tho .

As a video game , Zero Calibur is gorgeous . I·m actually considering buying my own controllers just to take to the arcade! . It·s that good .

Good luck out there! .

Attachments

• 300px-Zero_Caliber_VR_cover.jpg
    300px-Zero_Caliber_VR_cover.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 1
  • c07d23a3942c7060a3bcc56988c0adecb9e6aa7f.jpg
    c07d23a3942c7060a3bcc56988c0adecb9e6aa7f.jpg
    817.8 KB · Views: 1