Magical Girl series by type

Akamarak

MGF Member
I don't know about anyone else, but I love making lists and categorizing things! For this thread I think I'll make a list of different Magical Girl anime by "type".

Examples of Types: Warrior, Magical Idol Singer, Cute Witch (I stole those from https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MagicalGirl), Action, Dark. Feel free to suggest other types as well as suggest shows to add in the comments. Also feel free to dispute whatever categories I come up with! This will probably start as a very small list, and I probably won't be updating it every day, but when I see a suggestion in the comments I'll add it to the list. I don't know how well this will work!
  • 1966-Sally the Witch- Cute Witch
  • 1991-Sailor Moon- Warrior, Romance
  • 1994-Wedding Peach- Warrior, Romance
  • 1996-Cardcaptor Sakura- ???
  • 2004-Pretty Cure- Warrior, Action
  • 2011-Madoka Magica- Warrior, Dark

Last edited:

Loco del Lápiz

MGF Member
I can see how this is organized, and helps out to see some common tropes in each era. Lemme write down some more titles and make a minor change on Sakura:
  • 1994-Magic Knight Rayearth- Warrior, Action, Isekai
  • 1996-Cardcaptor Sakura- Cute Witch, Warrior, Collectibles?
  • 2002-Tokyo Mew Mew- Warrior, Romance
  • 2003-Pichi Pichi Pitch- Musical, Romance
  • 2004-Lyrical Nanoha- Warrior, Action
Also, a few questions:
  1. Should we add the darker deconstructions of the genre, like Raising Project, Spec-Ops Asuka, etc. and parodies like Magical Girl Boy, or do we just focus on the genuine MG stories?
  2. Also, I've seen some of these shows are hard to categorize in just two sub-genres, so might we put more as well?
  3. Will there be a "definitive" list?