Hello MGF!

harvester rose!

MGF Member
Hello everyone! I'm Nora, and I've been interested in the magical girl genre from the moment I heard of it lol. I'm an aspiring writer, and I have a magical girl story in the works (by which I mean I'm just writing down character bios and plot outlines for it, heh). My (account) name is a reference to them, the Pretty Harvesters! Working title. I'm mostly interested in 90's magical girl shows and obscure webcomics about the genre.

I joined the forum in order to meet other writers who write about magical girls, to share our characters, stories as well as advice! I'm a bit shy, but I'd love to hear all about your story if you have one! :)

Have a nice day! ♡

Last edited:

Phoenix

Founder
Staff member
Hi and welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your stay here :)

Loco del Lápiz

MGF Member
Welcome, Harvester Rose! (cool name, by the way) another story creator here, huh? Niiiiiice...
Ohhhh, the 90's anime aesthetic... I LOVE It.
Hope to read more about your Pretty Harvester and any other creations of yours! :)

OP
OP
harvester rose!

harvester rose!

MGF Member
Welcome, Harvester Rose! (cool name, by the way) another story creator here, huh? Niiiiiice...
Ohhhh, the 90's anime aesthetic... I LOVE It.
Hope to read more about your Pretty Harvester and any other creations of yours! :)

Aha, thank you! I'm looking forward to sharing my stories too!

Akamarak

MGF Member
Welcome to the forum! My wife and I got interested in Magical Girl shows a few years ago. We're currently working on a magical girl game.

Quick getting to know you questions:
  1. What's your favorite magical girl show?
  2. What is it about the magical girl genre you find appealing?

OP
OP
harvester rose!

harvester rose!

MGF Member
Welcome to the forum! My wife and I got interested in Magical Girl shows a few years ago. We're currently working on a magical girl game.

Quick getting to know you questions:
  1. What's your favorite magical girl show?
  2. What is it about the magical girl genre you find appealing?

1. Tokyo mew mew (I know, you didn't see that coming). I'm not too into the 'gory torture fest' side of the genre.
2. I'm a simple person, I like cute girls kicking butt in cuter outfits. I also like how magical girl shows treat friendship as important; a lot of western superhero stuff tends to either ignore or subvert the need for friendship, which is weird when the heroes work in a team.

Akamarak

MGF Member
1. Tokyo mew mew (I know, you didn't see that coming). I'm not too into the 'gory torture fest' side of the genre.
2. I'm a simple person, I like cute girls kicking butt in cuter outfits. I also like how magical girl shows treat friendship as important; a lot of western superhero stuff tends to either ignore or subvert the need for friendship, which is weird when the heroes work in a team.
The focus on friendship/the relationships between team members is a nice trait of Magical Girl media.
And what's Tokyo mew mew like? I've heard the name, but I don't know that much about it.

OP
OP
harvester rose!

harvester rose!

MGF Member
The focus on friendship/the relationships between team members is a nice trait of Magical Girl media.
And what's Tokyo mew mew like? I've heard the name, but I don't know that much about it.

Well, the manga was released in 2001, about 4 years after the end of sailor moon in 1997, so it's a bit of a reaction to the sudden popularity of the magical girl genre. There are 5 girls, Ichigo, Retasu, Minto, Zakuro and Pudding, they're all named after food and have the DNA of an endangered animal inside them. They transform into magical girls and fight aliens that want to destroy Earth, and fight monsters the aliens make from animals combined with the souls of the innocent (srs).

Overall a whole bunch of cute friendship/love saving the day type stuff, lots of cheesy early 2000s anime tropes which I love.
Check it out if you're not exclusively into more adult anime, since it's very clearly a kids show. (oof sorry for writing so much)

Akamarak

MGF Member
Well, the manga was released in 2001, about 4 years after the end of sailor moon in 1997, so it's a bit of a reaction to the sudden popularity of the magical girl genre. There are 5 girls, Ichigo, Retasu, Minto, Zakuro and Pudding, they're all named after food and have the DNA of an endangered animal inside them. They transform into magical girls and fight aliens that want to destroy Earth, and fight monsters the aliens make from animals combined with the souls of the innocent (srs).

Overall a whole bunch of cute friendship/love saving the day type stuff, lots of cheesy early 2000s anime tropes which I love.
Check it out if you're not exclusively into more adult anime, since it's very clearly a kids show. (oof sorry for writing so much)
I love how many manga/anime have ridiculous-sounding premises! I mean that in the best possible way. It sounds like a fun show.
A lot of the shows I enjoy are made for people much younger than me, so that's not a problem. My wife and I love Pretty Cure, whose primary target audience is very young (as can be seen by the adorable little girls going to see a Precure movie in the ad linked below)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f_iYDJS4aI&list=PLNdQp-whLwzBBHvaqbGjEv0mTh-76rU1p

If I get the chance I'll check out Tokyo Mew Mew, but I'll admit I'm terrible at getting around to watching new shows. I've been trying to get better at finding legal sources for things, which drastically cuts down on the new shows I have easy access to. Conversely it helps me be a lot more productive, which is good since I work from home ;)

And don't worry about writing too much. This forum is pretty small, so having more people talking makes it a more interesting place!

OP
OP
harvester rose!

harvester rose!

MGF Member
I love how many manga/anime have ridiculous-sounding premises! I mean that in the best possible way. It sounds like a fun show.
A lot of the shows I enjoy are made for people much younger than me, so that's not a problem. My wife and I love Pretty Cure, whose primary target audience is very young (as can be seen by the adorable little girls going to see a Precure movie in the ad linked below)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f_iYDJS4aI&list=PLNdQp-whLwzBBHvaqbGjEv0mTh-76rU1p

If I get the chance I'll check out Tokyo Mew Mew, but I'll admit I'm terrible at getting around to watching new shows. I've been trying to get better at finding legal sources for things, which drastically cuts down on the new shows I have easy access to. Conversely it helps me be a lot more productive, which is good since I work from home ;)

And don't worry about writing too much. This forum is pretty small, so having more people talking makes it a more interesting place!

It's great when kids shows can reach a bigger audience than intended!

And yeah, the show does have a pretty ridiculous concept. I didn't even think about how weird it was while I was writing it out, haha. You kinda get used to crazy concepts when it comes to magical girl series.

I need to start watching Precure, it seems like a fun show (though I know nothing about it) and the main point of this forum. Which season/series do you recommend I start with?

By the way, I'm also terrible at starting new series. It's rare I ever get past episode 1 of new shows (or even the first 10 minutes, sorry Saint Tail), even if I absolutely love them.

Akamarak

MGF Member
It's great when kids shows can reach a bigger audience than intended!

And yeah, the show does have a pretty ridiculous concept. I didn't even think about how weird it was while I was writing it out, haha. You kinda get used to crazy concepts when it comes to magical girl series.

I need to start watching Precure, it seems like a fun show (though I know nothing about it) and the main point of this forum. Which season/series do you recommend I start with?

By the way, I'm also terrible at starting new series. It's rare I ever get past episode 1 of new shows (or even the first 10 minutes, sorry Saint Tail), even if I absolutely love them.
Precure has a lot of different seasons with a decent amount of variety, so partly it depends on your personal tastes. For the most part you can start wherever you want, since they're mostly stand-alone stories. I haven't seen all the seasons of Precure, but I would recommend HeartCatch and Suite, since those are two of my favorites. I'll link their openings below to give you a feel for them.

It's been a long week and I'm tired, so maybe I'll go into what I like about them more another time, But I know I'm not the only one around here who's watched Precure. Does anyone else have any suggestions for Rose?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yuJQT2VTTw

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gSyzjmLVSM

Akamarak

MGF Member
To get a better idea of what kind of series you would like... you mentioned liking "cheesy early 2000s anime tropes". What kind of tropes in particular do you enjoy?

OP
OP
harvester rose!

harvester rose!

MGF Member
To get a better idea of what kind of series you would like... you mentioned liking "cheesy early 2000s anime tropes". What kind of tropes in particular do you enjoy?

Cheesy, silly romance plot lines, hammy villains, low stakes conflict, not a lot of blood and despair (until the season finale, of course), 'the cutest boy in the grade likes me?!' type stuff. It's kinda hard to describe...

Akamarak

MGF Member
In response to what you were saying about a lack of traditional magical girl shows, there is a currently airing Precure Season (Star Twinkle Precure), which is more cute and silly. Other than that, the more cute and silly sort of girl anime recently seem to revolve more around idols and youtube stars and such.

Cheesy, silly romance plot lines, hammy villains, low stakes conflict, not a lot of blood and despair (until the season finale, of course), 'the cutest boy in the grade likes me?!' type stuff. It's kinda hard to describe...
hmm... Futari Wa Precure (the first Precure series) may be a good fit for you, in that it has a little bit of a light romance subplot. It doesn't go very far and isn't a part of every episode, but it's present. Romance isn't usually a very big part of Precure seasons.

I do remember my wife thinking two characters in Suite Precure were cute together. One of the Cure's little brother's has a friendship/little bit of a crush on another girl. Once again it's not a huge part of the show, but it's at least there every once in a while. Here's a picture where you can see the boy with cupcakes and the girl pretending not to care about anything.

0xjZv5J.jpg