What is your favorite decade for Magical Girl series?

What is your favorite decade for Magical Girl series?

• 1950s

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1960s

• 1970s

• 1980s

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • 1990s

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • 2000s

• 2010s

• 2020s

• Other

• Total voters

Mikan

MGF Member
Hey everyone! I just wanted to make a Magical Girl related poll and the question is What is your favorite decade for Magical Girl series? In my opinion my favorite decades for Magical Girl series are the 1980s and 1990s.

Last edited:

Loco del Lápiz

MGF Member
That's a pretty interesting question. For me it has to be the 1990's (Sailor FRIKKIN' Moon's in here!), I adore the stylish animation of that decade in the maho shojo genre we can also see that in Utena. Well, I love 90's anime aesthetic in general, so... yeah, easy choice.

Between the end of the 90's and beggining of the 2000's I think we had amazing magical girl stories. Cardcaptor Sakura comes to mind...

But I also find the 2000's extremely important, since it's the last decade with cute innocent magical girls that were big hits, and before the "dark edgy deconstruction" age came to be.
We had shows that didn't shy away from some darker elements (Princess Tutu) and showed us more "realistic" settings and a lot of action (Like Pretty Cure) without turning into soulless gore-fests.

OP
OP
Mikan

Mikan

MGF Member
That's a pretty interesting question. For me it has to be the 1990's (Sailor FRIKKIN' Moon's in here!), I adore the stylish animation of that decade in the maho shojo genre we can also see that in Utena. Well, I love 90's anime aesthetic in general, so... yeah, easy choice.

Between the end of the 90's and beggining of the 2000's I think we had amazing magical girl stories. Cardcaptor Sakura comes to mind...

But I also find the 2000's extremely important, since it's the last decade with cute innocent magical girls that were big hits, and before the "dark edgy deconstruction" age came to be.
We had shows that didn't shy away from some darker elements (Princess Tutu) and showed us more "realistic" settings and a lot of action (Like Pretty Cure) without turning into soulless gore-fests.

Yeah I agree that the 1990s is definitely one of the best decades for Magical Girl series along with the 1980s and it's true that the 2000s was the last decade for lighthearted Magical Girl series like you mentioned before dark Magical Girl series were made back in the 2010s.

The only lighthearted Magical Girl series that is still made to this day is Pretty Cure and that series has been going strong since the 2000s and 2010s. It would be nice to see more lighthearted Magical Girl series again so that the genre can be popular like before.

I would also like to see more action packed Shojo and Josei series that are not Magical Girl as well, but they can still have the romance since romance is very important for both Shojo and Josei series.

aiyan

MGF Member
That Vote feels like an exam to me 😅
Like "choose the best answer" 😆

aiyan

MGF Member
I'm guessing it's because of the numbers, right? Lol. 🤣
確かに (surely) Those crazy numbers got me all worked up....or maybe psyched up...maybe 🤣

OP
OP
Mikan

Mikan

MGF Member
確かに (surely) Those crazy numbers got me all worked up....or maybe psyched up...maybe 🤣

Oh okay and don't worry, in this poll there's no right or wrong answer. So you can pick any answer you want and say your reason for liking that decade.