Powerpuff Girls Z

Mikan

MGF Member
This is a thread for Powerpuff Girls Z and anyone can talk about anything related to this series on here.

aiyan

MGF Member
powerpuffgirlszbuttercup_crop.png
The first thing I had in mind about Powerpuff Girl Z is like it is the same as it's based on American animation TV series. Well, almost close. So I came to like this anime.

First, Akatsutsumi Momoko or Blossom. She is WAY to different from her american animation counterpart. She fond boys and quite a clever. But her being "the brain" on the group still the same and that makes her the leader. I like her Powerpuff style by the way.

Second, Gotokuji Miyako of Bubbles. She remain sweet and still loved her stuff toy named Octi. Oh! and she can still communicate with the animals like her american animation counterpart.

Third, probably she is my favorite character, Matsubara Kaoru or Buttercup. Same as always, she dislike girly stuff and very athletic. I believe she has this slight short temper and can be easily angry.

What more shocking about this Japanese series is that Professor Utonium has a son, now that a bit different. and Mojo Jojo grew tall and he doesn't repeat himself unlike in the American animation.

OP
OP
Mikan

Mikan

MGF Member
View attachment 80
The first thing I had in mind about Powerpuff Girl Z is like it is the same as it's based on American animation TV series. Well, almost close. So I came to like this anime.

First, Akatsutsumi Momoko or Blossom. She is WAY to different from her american animation counterpart. She fond boys and quite a clever. But her being "the brain" on the group still the same and that makes her the leader. I like her Powerpuff style by the way.

Second, Gotokuji Miyako of Bubbles. She remain sweet and still loved her stuff toy named Octi. Oh! and she can still communicate with the animals like her american animation counterpart.

Third, probably she is my favorite character, Matsubara Kaoru or Buttercup. Same as always, she dislike girly stuff and very athletic. I believe she has this slight short temper and can be easily angry.

What more shocking about this Japanese series is that Professor Utonium has a son, now that a bit different. and Mojo Jojo grew tall and he doesn't repeat himself unlike in the American animation.

I thought of the same thing when I first saw this series as well and yeah I agree that there were a couple of changes in Powerpuff Girls Z that are different from the original Powerpuff Girls cartoon including the girls themselves. I find it to be shocking that Professor Utonium has a son in this series too since in the original cartoon he never had a son and he never had a wife either, well unless if you count Sedusa as his wife since there was an episode in the original cartoon where Professor Utonium married her.

Loco del Lápiz

MGF Member
I loved the original Powerpuff Girls as a child, so when I found out that a new TV show based on them was on air, I had to watch it.
I remember seeing it on the TV guide and thinking "huh, PowerPuff Girls Z? What's the Z for? Are they parodying Dragon Ball now? Wait... are they parodying anime instead of superheroes? That would be great!"
Then I saw that it was an actual anime! And felt incredibly confused, but happy to know that they've fused two things I liked so much!
Loved those new designs, they managed to make every character recognisable, keeping a lot of elements form the previous ones (including the concentric circled eyes of the Girls), but adding the "anime feel" without betraying the source material. A truly flawless work in that regard.

As for the story, it was considerably different from the original, and it didn't have that parodic tone anymore. This time it was more like a magical girl anime. Okay. Cool, it could work.
And it worked, apparently, since it became quite popular. I haven't watched all of it, because I felt like it wasn't as action-packed and funny as the original, and the animation could be better. The addition of new characters (like Ken Utonium, Poochi or ) was nice, and it expanded on some overlooked concepts or changed them, but still, those changes did not felt unnecesary or unearned.
Still, as I've said, even to this day I admit the redesigns were perfect (the cute art style helps!), and the concept of the magical-girl-esque reboot was a clever idea that could be revisited in the future, why not?

In conclusion, to me, it wasn't as good as the original, but it had a lot of potential, was a nice reconceptualization of the franchise and it had A LOT of respect for the American series, something some reboots/remakes don't have.

Also, @aiyan , where did you find that image of Buttercup and Ken? Because I don't remember the anime looking THAT good.

aiyan

MGF Member
I thought of the same thing when I first saw this series as well and yeah I agree that there were a couple of changes in Powerpuff Girls Z that are different from the original Powerpuff Girls cartoon including the girls themselves. I find it to be shocking that Professor Utonium has a son in this series too since in the original cartoon he never had a son and he never had a wife either, well unless if you count Sedusa as his wife since there was an episode in the original cartoon where Professor Utonium married her.
Yes! It was shown in american animation (but they never had this lovey-dovey thing-y) that the professor did marry Sedusa. But, it only shows in american cartoon.

Professor Utonium seems have a real name. I re-watch the show and I think I heard he was called Kitazawa. And Ken's mother is an astronaut like it was shown in Episode 26.

aiyan

MGF Member
Also, @aiyan , where did you find that image of Buttercup and Ken? Because I don't remember the anime looking THAT good.
Hmmm....I forgot hehehe....somewhere in the first 3 episode, I guess. I print screen and crop it.

OP
OP
Mikan

Mikan

MGF Member
I loved the original Powerpuff Girls as a child, so when I found out that a new TV show based on them was on air, I had to watch it.
I remember seeing it on the TV guide and thinking "huh, PowerPuff Girls Z? What's the Z for? Are they parodying Dragon Ball now? Wait... are they parodying anime instead of superheroes? That would be great!"
Then I saw that it was an actual anime! And felt incredibly confused, but happy to know that they've fused two things I liked so much!
Loved those new designs, they managed to make every character recognisable, keeping a lot of elements form the previous ones (including the concentric circled eyes of the Girls), but adding the "anime feel" without betraying the source material. A truly flawless work in that regard.

As for the story, it was considerably different from the original, and it didn't have that parodic tone anymore. This time it was more like a magical girl anime. Okay. Cool, it could work.
And it worked, apparently, since it became quite popular. I haven't watched all of it, because I felt like it wasn't as action-packed and funny as the original, and the animation could be better. The addition of new characters (like Ken Utonium, Poochi or ) was nice, and it expanded on some overlooked concepts or changed them, but still, those changes did not felt unnecesary or unearned.
Still, as I've said, even to this day I admit the redesigns were perfect (the cute art style helps!), and the concept of the magical-girl-esque reboot was a clever idea that could be revisited in the future, why not?

In conclusion, to me, it wasn't as good as the original, but it had a lot of potential, was a nice reconceptualization of the franchise and it had A LOT of respect for the American series, something some reboots/remakes don't have.

I agree that this series is a very interesting take on the original Powerpuff Girls cartoon and I really love the designs of the characters too.

OP
OP
Mikan

Mikan

MGF Member
Yes! It was shown in american animation (but they never had this lovey-dovey thing-y) that the professor did marry Sedusa. But, it only shows in american cartoon.

Professor Utonium seems have a real name. I re-watch the show and I think I heard he was called Kitazawa. And Ken's mother is an astronaut like it was shown in Episode 26.

Oh okay and yeah that is true that the professor does have a wife in the Powerpuff Girls Z series who is not Sedusa which is a good thing.