New Member!

WhiteDragonAura

MGF Member
Hi everyone. Let me start off by saying intros were never a strong point for me, so I'll try to keep the rambling in this post to a minimum.

My first experience with mahou shoujo/magical girl anime came from waking up every day in the mid-90s to a 6:30 am showing of Sailor Moon. I'll be honest, it was often the highlight of my day. I fell in love with the genre as it was something I'd never seen before. My all time favorite MG shows would have to be Pretear and Princess Tutu. Sadly, I've found that most of the magical girl anime I grew up with isn't really that popular with the modern-day anime crowd. There seems to be an influx of more depressing and darker themed shows like Madoka Magica and Magical Girl Site, which I just can't seem to get into so I'd say I'm definitely an old school fan!

I've also missed the intimate nature of forums that social media seems to have taken away. I'm really glad to have found this forum and hope to meet some new friends here. Thanks for reading. :)

Last edited:

Phoenix

Founder
Staff member
Hello and welcome. I hope you enjoy your stay!

OP
OP
WhiteDragonAura

WhiteDragonAura

MGF Member
Welcome! I hope you enjoy your time here :) I'm also not too big a fan of dark MG shows, so we already have that in common! :D

Hi harvester rose!, thanks very much for the welcome. Awesome to see we share the same love for quality magical girl anime! :D

Hello and welcome. I hope you enjoy your stay!

Many thanks for the warm welcome, Lala. Can't wait to start discussing with everyone here. :)

Loco del Lápiz

MGF Member
Hi everyone. Let me start off by saying intro were never a strong point for me, so I'll try to keep the rambling in this post to a minimum.

My first experience with mahou shoujo/magical girl anime came from waking up every day in the mid-90s to a 6:30 am showing of Sailor Moon. I'll be honest, it was often the highlight of my day. I fell in love with the genre as it was something I'd never seen before. My all time favorite MG shows would have to be Pretear and Princess Tutu. Sadly, I've found that most of the magical girl anime I grew up with isn't really that popular with the modern-day anime crowd. There seems to be an influx of more depressing and darker themed shows like Madoka Magica and Magical Girl Site, which I just can't seem to get into so I'd say I'm definitely an old school fan!

I've also missed the intimate nature of forums that social media seems to have taken away. I'm really glad to have found this forum and hope to meet some new friends here. Thanks for reading. :)

That was a great intro for someone who claims that he's not good at them!

So... I love Madoka Magica, but I understand why some people dislike it so much. After all, it started this Dark Magical Girl trend full of twisted and bloody deconstructions of a genre that is supposed to be cheerful and positive...
Yeah, I can definately see why you're an old-school Mahō Shōjo fan. Still, I think we'll share a lot of common thoughts about this new trend, and if not, well... We can always agree on disagreeing!

Welcome here, and hope you enjoy! ^^

OP
OP
WhiteDragonAura

WhiteDragonAura

MGF Member
That was a great intro for someone who claims that he's not good at them!

So... I love Madoka Magica, but I understand why some people dislike it so much. After all, it started this Dark Magical Girl trend full of twisted and bloody deconstructions of a genre that is supposed to be cheerful and positive...
Yeah, I can definately see why you're an old-school Mahō Shōjo fan. Still, I think we'll share a lot of common thoughts about this new trend, and if not, well... We can always agree on disagreeing!

Welcome here, and hope you enjoy! ^^

Haha thanks a lot for the encouragement! Yeah, you know what's funny about Madoka is I started out really liking it, thinking it felt really fresh and novel, but then episode 3 came around and by the end I decided that was enough depression for one day. Geez. ? Uta~Kata is just about the darkest mahou shoujo I can handle. And yup, I look forward to many future discussions on the subject!

Mikan

MGF Member
Hi WhiteDragonAura and welcome to the forum! I am also a fan of old school Magical Girl anime too and I always love watching them. I don't like Dark Magical Girl anime either since I really can't get into them the same way that I got into Lighthearted Magical Girl anime. I agree that there are some Magical Girl series that are very underrated and need more love.

Mikan

MGF Member
Thanks for the welcome, Mikan. Very nice to meet you! It's really comforting to know there are still lots of people who enjoy the more cheerful and sillier magical girl shows in today's cynical age. ?

You're welcome and it's very nice to meet you too! I agree and I would always love watching Lighthearted Magical Girl anime series. :)

aiyan

MGF Member
Hello! Hello! Hello! WhiteDragonAura! Welcome to the forum!