Magical Girl anime and manga talk

OP
OP
Mikan

Mikan

MGF Member
One of the shows you mentioned was Saintia Sho. It has a fun art style. What do you like about that one?

I thought that it's a really good series and I even see all of the episodes too, but too bad it ended in a cliffhanger. It's still a fun series to watch and if you're a fan of the Saint Seiya series, then you will like Saintia Sho.

Akamarak

MGF Member
I thought that it's a really good series and I even see all of the episodes too, but too bad it ended in a cliffhanger. It's still a fun series to watch and if you're a fan of the Saint Seiya series, then you will like Saintia Sho.
How much does it tie in with the Saint Seiya series? I haven't seen either, but Is Saintia Sho a good standalone series, or is it better if you've seen Saint Seiya first?

OP
OP
Mikan

Mikan

MGF Member
How much does it tie in with the Saint Seiya series? I haven't seen either, but Is Saintia Sho a good standalone series, or is it better if you've seen Saint Seiya first?

Well basically Saintia Sho is a spin-off series of Saint Seiya and you can actually watch Saintia Sho without watching Saint Seiya. The good thing about Saintia Sho is that it only has 10 episodes.

Akamarak

MGF Member
Change of thread title... good call!

Sometimes shorter anime are nice. Is it a pretty big cliffhanger that it ends on, and do you know if they're planning on concluding it at some point?

OP
OP
Mikan

Mikan

MGF Member
Change of thread title... good call!

Sometimes shorter anime are nice. Is it a pretty big cliffhanger that it ends on, and do you know if they're planning on concluding it at some point?

Yeah I agree and I'm not sure if Toei Animation the company that created the Saintia Sho anime is going to continue the series or not. They haven't mentioned anything about continuing it, but I would have love it if they continue making more episodes.

Loco del Lápiz

MGF Member
Huh, first title change of a thread I've seen so far...

As I know, Saintia Sho is based on a manga by the same name, so it's likely that you can follow the story of the anime by reading the manga (if it was a faithful adaptation, that is...), but is it an actual magical girl story?

And yeah, I agree with @Akamarak , sometimes shorter animes make better narratives, that end up being more focused thant longer ones. Not saying longer animes are bad, but they can become more confusing or excessively covoluted.

OP
OP
Mikan

Mikan

MGF Member
Huh, first title change of a thread I've seen so far...

As I know, Saintia Sho is based on a manga by the same name, so it's likely that you can follow the story of the anime by reading the manga (if it was a faithful adaptation, that is...), but is it an actual magical girl story?

And yeah, I agree with @Akamarak , sometimes shorter animes make better narratives, that end up being more focused thant longer ones. Not saying longer animes are bad, but they can become more confusing or excessively covoluted.

Yeah I had to change the title since I feel like this thread is not about Wedding Peach anymore and that it started to go off-topic. That is true and it's up to you if you want to think of Saintia Sho as a Magical Girl series. Some people think it is while other people think it's not, but I feel like Saintia Sho is a Magical Girl series a way. It's true that shorter anime series do tend to be better than longer anime series at times.

Akamarak

MGF Member
Sorry, the title change is my fault... sometimes I don't stay on topic very well.
I haven't looked into it extensively, but Saintia Sho does seem like sort of a more shonen-y version of a Magical Girl series, but that makes sense since it looks like it's a spin-off of a shonen manga/anime. Pretty Cure feels a little shonen-y sometimes too with how they do their fight scenes.
It's true that shorter anime series do tend to be better than longer anime series at times.

Sometimes longer anime can be fun, but they do tend to either be very slow moving or very unfocused! Shorter stories are nice for having more complete story arcs that feel a little more cohesive as a whole. Madoka Magica is the first thing that comes to mind when it comes to shorter Magical Girl anime (just 12 episodes), and Mikan mentioned Saintia Sho (10 episodes). Are there any other short Magical Girl series?

OP
OP
Mikan

Mikan

MGF Member
Sorry, the title change is my fault... sometimes I don't stay on topic very well.
I haven't looked into it extensively, but Saintia Sho does seem like sort of a more shonen-y version of a Magical Girl series, but that makes sense since it looks like it's a spin-off of a shonen manga/anime. Pretty Cure feels a little shonen-y sometimes too with how they do their fight scenes.

Sometimes longer anime can be fun, but they do tend to either be very slow moving or very unfocused! Shorter stories are nice for having more complete story arcs that feel a little more cohesive as a whole. Madoka Magica is the first thing that comes to mind when it comes to shorter Magical Girl anime (just 12 episodes), and Mikan mentioned Saintia Sho (10 episodes). Are there any other short Magical Girl series?

Yeah it really does since it is a Saint Seiya spin-off series and we all know that Saint Seiya is a Shonen series. That is true that Pretty Cure does have Shonen elements in it too even though it's a Shojo series.

Akamarak

MGF Member
No mental energy... can't think of anything to talk about. Anyone else have anything interesting they want to discuss?

Loco del Lápiz

MGF Member
Well, since this is a "magical girl talk" that started talking about a spin-off, what other majokko manga/anime do you know that was created as a spin-off from a series that is NOT a maho shojo?
I know Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya, which originated from the Fate/Stay Night series. It's a really cool anime, and the manga has stunning artwork from volume 2 onward. As for the plot, well... is quite entertaining, but certain scenes I consider... QUITE unnecessary.

Akamarak

MGF Member
Well, since this is a "magical girl talk" that started talking about a spin-off, what other majokko manga/anime do you know that was created as a spin-off from a series that is NOT a maho shojo?
I know Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya, which originated from the Fate/Stay Night series. It's a really cool anime, and the manga has stunning artwork from volume 2 onward. As for the plot, well... is quite entertaining, but certain scenes I consider... QUITE unnecessary.
The first thing that comes to mind is Powerpuff Girls Z. I'm not sure if it counts as a spinoff, but it's sort of a more overtly magical girl re-imagining of the original Powerpuff Girls. Granted they were kind of magical girls before, but more in a western cartoon superhero sort of way. I haven't seen all of it, but it's silly and fun.

And it's unfortunate when they add 'unnecessary' elements to otherwise good anime/manga!

Loco del Lápiz

MGF Member
A great example, I'd say. Loved the original Powerpuff Girls, and design-wise, they nailed the feel of the original. I LOVE the way they reinvented the characters from a visual perspective. Still, I think they partially missed what made the original so groundbreaking...
But it is well remembered, and for good reasons: it's quite entertaining, doesn't take itself too seriously and makes a nice watch.

And yes, I'd like the Fate/Kaleid Liner manga a lot more if it wasn't for those scenes. They're just kissing scenes, but they are shown in a really... how could I say it?... obscene way.

Akamarak

MGF Member
I thought it was a fun interpretation of the Powerpuff Girls too!
And yeah, it always feels uncomfortable when you come to those types of unnecessary scenes. That's part of why my wife and I tend to gravitate towards anime/manga that are for a younger target audience, like Powerpuff Girls Z and Pretty Cure. Kids shows tend to have fewer uncomfortable surprises! There are still plenty of good anime for teenagers and adults, it's just harder to find ones without a few unnecessary/uncomfortable things in them.

Loco del Lápiz

MGF Member
I do think sometimes cartoons for 8 ages and up should feature some darker themes. I mean, nothing gory, sexual or extremely unsettling, but maybe some elements that could challenge their naiveté. You know, a way of explaining to these kids that the world can have really bad stuff, and that people sometimes are not up to good...

By the way (and trying to get back on topic), I've recently seen a series of videos talking about the history of Magical Girl anime: Mahou Profile, from ErynCerise Youtube channel. If you're interested in learning more (or, most likely, -considering you're magical girl experts- remembering stuff) about the genre that has united us here, check it out! It's a great documentary-like series, well narrated and highly detailed. Here's the first episode:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUt6PperTKI

There are some more, and each one so far has focused on one anime at a time. We'll see how long this girl goes with this series!

koyu

MGF Member
I do think sometimes cartoons for 8 ages and up should feature some darker themes. I mean, nothing gory, sexual or extremely unsettling, but maybe some elements that could challenge their naiveté. You know, a way of explaining to these kids that the world can have really bad stuff, and that people sometimes are not up to good...

By the way (and trying to get back on topic), I've recently seen a series of videos talking about the history of Magical Girl anime: Mahou Profile, from ErynCerise Youtube channel. If you're interested in learning more (or, most likely, -considering you're magical girl experts- remembering stuff) about the genre that has united us here, check it out! It's a great documentary-like series, well narrated and highly detailed. Here's the first episode:

There are some more, and each one so far has focused on one anime at a time. We'll see how long this girl goes with this series!
Thank you for sharing, Lapiz! I watched the video and it seems pretty interesting. :)

Akamarak

MGF Member

I'll have to check it out! And I'm in no way a magical girl expert (I haven't even seen that much Sailor Moon:oops:)

Akamarak

MGF Member
There's a whole series, @koyu so have fun with them!

Well, @Akamarak you seem to know a lot about magical girls in general, so...
Interesting video! Oh nice, I didn't realize there was more than one out already, I'll have to watch more.

Me seeming to know a lot is an illusion caused by me speaking confidently! No, it's true, I've learned a lot about the magical girl genre, I just haven't seen nearly as many series as a lot of magical girl fans. Also I wasn't very aware of the genre until a few years ago, while some people grew up watching magical girl shows and such.

OP
OP
Mikan

Mikan

MGF Member
Does anyone think that Ceres Celestial Legend (Ayashi no Ceres) is a Magical Girl series? I think it's a Magical Girl series in a way, but I want to read everyone's opinions about it.