Magical Girl anime and manga talk

Loco del Lápiz

MGF Member
Well, haven't seen/read it, but as for Google Images is showing me, it kinda has a more modern or, let's say, "hidden" Magical Girl aesthetic. Perhaps it's just a shoujo manga and there's a majokko influence on the artwork, but who knows.

Actually, you've tackled into a very interesting topic @Mikan , what do we consider to be a Magical Girl story? What elements should it have to call it a mahou shoujo series?

OP
OP
Mikan

Mikan

MGF Member
Well, haven't seen/read it, but as for Google Images is showing me, it kinda has a more modern or, let's say, "hidden" Magical Girl aesthetic. Perhaps it's just a shoujo manga and there's a majokko influence on the artwork, but who knows.

Actually, you've tackled into a very interesting topic @Mikan , what do we consider to be a Magical Girl story? What elements should it have to call it a mahou shoujo series?

Yeah I agree that Ayashi no Ceres does have majokko influence and that it also has supernatural elements in the series too. As for the amazing questions, I think what would be consider to be a Magical Girl story is for the series to be about a girl and her friends having magical powers to save the world or it can also be about a solo Magical Girl who fights against evil alone without needing a team to help her fight against the villains. The elements that a Shoujo and/or Josei series should have to be consider a Magical Girl/Magical Woman series are magic/superpowers, romance, using magic/powers to help people, and transformations.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mikan

Mikan

MGF Member
Does anyone think that the 80s anime and manga series Tokimeki Tonight is a Magical Girl series or no? The reason I'm asking is because some websites say that it's not a Magical Girl series while on other websites they said that it is a Magical Girl series. To me, I think it has the same case as Ayashi no Ceres with it having magical influence and supernatural elements.

Loco del Lápiz

MGF Member
The aesthetic looks quite Magical-Girlish, buuuuuut it's hard to tell... Haven't read the manga nor watched the anime, so I can't say for sure.
It seems to feature supernatural elements, but... the main character doesn't have magical powers. Like... she can transform, and that's it? Pretty interesting topic actually. what do we consider a Magical Girl story?

OP
OP
Mikan

Mikan

MGF Member
The aesthetic looks quite Magical-Girlish, buuuuuut it's hard to tell... Haven't read the manga nor watched the anime, so I can't say for sure.
It seems to feature supernatural elements, but... the main character doesn't have magical powers. Like... she can transform, and that's it? Pretty interesting topic actually. what do we consider a Magical Girl story?

Yeah that's true and oh okay. Yeah the only power that the main character has is transformation, but she only transforms into people, animals, and objects. The topic is very interesting and that it can be it's own thread too.